Nov 23, 2015
Victor Plitt is a hobby blacksmith in Central
Pennsylvania. He is a truck driver by trade and started
blacksmithing a few years ago. Victor has also founded the
Iron Forge Fire online blacksmith forum.
What We Talked About
- When Victor decided to take up blacksmithing as a hobby, he
went to the internet to look for tools to buy and information on
learning techniques. He came across the I Forge Iron forum and
created a profile to be able to interact with the other
members. Soon after joining the forum, Victor’s profile was
deleted and he was not allowed back into the forum. Victor
thinks it was because he entered his website information in his
- The Iron Forge Fire forum allows you to promote your business
and website within your profile. You can also contribute and post
information without a profile. There are about 209 members
- Victor held an “Iron in the Pot” challenge this past summer,
it’s a very flexible contest for its beginner members to forge
something within certain requirements. There were 12 that signed up
for the challenge and 3 people ended up making something. At
the end of the contest, each of the contestants sends their piece
to another smith in the contest.
- Victor is currently talking with the Williams Grove Historical
Steam Engine Society about holding a Hammer-in on their grounds
that has a blacksmith shop. He’s hoping to grow the blacksmith
community there and maybe become an affiliate of ABANA.
- Victor hopes to take his hobby to the next level and open a
business with his two brothers. They are each into glass and wood,
Victor is hoping to combine all of those mediums into sellable
- The Iron Forge Fire also has a classifieds page for anyone to
post tools for sale. You can upload pictures into tool categories
and the checkout system is through PayPal.
- Victor is also thinking about starting an “Etsy” type of online
store where blacksmiths can sell their forged pieces and services.
He has already bought the URL www.blacksmithgalleries.com.
- Victor’s background in software development came from being in
the Real Estate business when it was moving towards being online in
the early 1990’s.
- Victor’s favorite book is “Atlas Shrugged” by Ayn Rand and the
main character’s name is Hank Rearden who developed a new metal
alloy and called it Rearden Metal. Victor decided to use “Hank
Rearden” as his username inside the Iron Forge Fire forum.
Iron Forge Fire website: http://www.theironforgefire.com/register/register
Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/TheIronForgeFire
A Big Thank You to today’s sponsor – Nimba Anvils,
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you
would support the show by:
Thanks so much for your support!