Jun 20, 2016
Lorelei Sims started her blacksmithing career in 1993 by
purchasing a shop in Charleston, Illinois following her art
education. She has grown her blacksmithing business by
forging functional art pieces. As the best-selling author of
“The Backyard Blacksmith” book, Lorelei is well respected
throughout the blacksmithing community.
What We Talked About
- The book “The Backyard Blacksmith” is celebrating its 10th year
in publication and still the number 1 blacksmithing book on the
- Lorelei was inspired by her grandfather and his copper organic
looking metalwork. This was her connection to botanical work in
metal, hence the subject for the new publication.
- When Lorelei makes botanically inspired metalwork, she first
dissects the organic forms such as the flower, the bud, the vine.
Then she organizes each piece in an eye pleasing composition.
- “Organic Metalworking” is Lorelei’s next publication, similar
to a magazine format and size it will concentrate on her floral and
organic techniques. This serial publication was released in March
of th2016. To get information on how to purchase “Organic
Metalworking” visit http://www.blacksmithchic.com/
- Queue McMillan is the editor and designer of the Organic
Metalworking publication, so she and Lorelei first had to fit all
of the content into 3 distinct categories; tools/ equipment,
techniques, and projects. So they decided to concentrate on the
vine and leaf motif for each of the categories.
- Lorelei remembers when Quarry publications contacted her to
write the “Backyard Blacksmith” and the first thing she remembers
was thinking… “how hard can it be?”. At the time, she was offered a
one-time writers fee with no future royalties.
- This first edition of Organic Metalworking was dedicated to
Dano Goostree who was a blacksmith. His specialty was adhering
copper to the bottom of cookware, which is a lost art. He
passed away in 2013.
- The second publication of Organic Metalworking will be about
the woodlands and should be released in the next year or so.
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you
would support the show by:
Thanks so much for your support!