Nov 27, 2017
This week’s guests are Shaun Williams and Sylvia Andrassy from
Pampano Beach. FL. Shaun has been blacksmithing for 10 years
and is the SE Regional coordinator of the Florida Artist Blacksmith
Association. Sylvia was this year’s FABA conference event
coordinator. Together they have started a non-profit folk art
school called the Guild Urban Craft and Folk Art School.
What We Talked About
- This FABA Conference that was held in the last weekend in
October of 2017, had the highest attendance ever in FABA’s entire
history with 450 attendees.
- The conference had 6 specialty workshops and two demonstrator
workshops by Lisa Johnson and Claudio Bottero.
- Shaun talks about his visit to Claudio’s blacksmith shop in
- Sylvia tells us about her beginnings in blacksmithing 3 years
ago and when Shaun asked her to go to a blacksmith conference as a
- Dark Angel Armory and Forge is Shaun’s forging business, he
also started teaching beginner blacksmithing and knife making
classes from this location. The classes grew so fast that Shaun and
Sylvia decided to start a Guild Folk Art School offering different
types of “medieval” art classes; leatherworking, ceramics, jewelry
making. The classes are booked 3 to 4 months in advance.
- The Guild also offers a monthly “membership” to the students
who have taken previous classes.
- They recommend an inspiring artistic Italian blacksmith book,
“La Magia de Febrero del
Tutto Italiano Centro Fabra Milidia” or “The Magic
of Italian Forged Artist, 100 Artist 1000 Ideas”
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you
would support the show by:
Thanks so much for your support!